A workshop with J. Chris Morel...


So I have just returned from a week in Taos, New Mexico where I attended a workshop with artist J. Chris Morel. 

The weather stayed perfect for us even though the weather report had us concerned. It stayed absolutely beautiful the whole time!

This was my second time taking Chris's workshop and I got even more out of it this time around. His workshop is so much fun!


We got to paint at some great locations like the San Jose de Gracia church...

and here is my painting from that location...


 9" x 12" oil

We spent all of the second day at a beautiful ranch outside Llano de San Juan that belonged to a friend of Chris's. We painted amongst horses, goats, sheep, dogs, cats and there were several old inspiring structures as well which I chose to focus on...


here is my painting that came from that experience...

9" x 12" oil

The last day of painting was hard. By this time everyone is reaching their exhaustion point. I wasn't very happy with what I painted this day but I was focusing more on  incorporating what I was learning into my work and not so much on painting a masterpiece, which is the whole point of course:)
The trees were just starting to turn their fall colors towards the end of the workshop...


and so I made an attempt with my last painting at capturing that...


One of the highlights to the workshop was getting to meet and paint near Walt Gonske. He joined us on the second day out at the ranch. It was mildly intimidating to paint near such caliber but it was great! Walt is a super sweet guy and his work in person is incredible.
So it was an awesome adventure and I highly recommend Chris' workshop. It's a perfect location and I enjoyed meeting and working along side everyone in the class. We had a great time and learned a lot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butterfly Dreamtime

New Mandala Paintings...

Pueblo pottery style gourd - from start to finish