Pueblo pottery style gourd - from start to finish
















Finally completed "Earth Song", a carved and painted gourd done in the style of Pueblo pottery. This piece turned out better than I anticipated and I'm so excited! I took photos of the process so I will share with you here how I did it.





After cleaning the gourd and cutting the top off to create the look of pottery, I drew in the design...


Once I was satisfied with the drawing, I had to determine which parts I wanted to carve out.  Once this was decided it took me two days to complete the carving (not all day - 2 hours each day).



I probably spent at this point 2 or 3 days trying to visualize a color scheme. I loved how it was coming along and I didn't want to mess it up with the wrong colors. I finally chose earth tones and painted on the first color...


This was exciting - it was really starting to manifest a personality now...I was going to leave it basically with the natural gourd colors and others that saw it at this stage agreed but then I had a dream that night that it was painted with black where I had carved it out. It looked so amazing in the dream that I decided to go for it...



I was so happy I did. It was the right choice and after all the black was laid in I sprayed it with 3 coats of satin varnish and glued in the vintage glass, turquoise looking cabochons I collected for this project. Ta da! The finished piece!


It's now for sale for $95.00 + shipping in my Etsy shop.

Comments

Sadia said…
Wonderful Kaia! Beautifully designed and the earthy tones lend it full justice!
Kaia Thomas said…
Thank you so much Sadia! I just went to your blog and your work is incredible!
Carol Brown said…
Exquisite work, Kaia. I love gourd art. Love your blog too, so beautiful. Can't wait to see more of your creations and adventures.
Kaia Thomas said…
Thank you, Carol! I'm hoping to have more adventures to share here soon:)

Popular posts from this blog

New Mandala Paintings...

Butterfly Dreamtime