"Garden Sunflowers - Start to Finish...

   I decided to document this latest still life painting from beginning to end. I was trying out this newly discovered style - a much looser, "get the paint on there", kind of style. 
    For much of my artistic life, you probably could of called me a "Miss Meticulous" type of painter. I loved to spend hours on one spot and often leaned towards painting fine detail type stuff (cultural designs, mandalas). There has been a shift in me lately where I have learned to let go and just paint! I truly believe that this has been my missing link, mainly with my oil painting.
   This past workshop that I took is where I discovered this new style and ever since then, my painting style has become looser and more expressive. So, here we go...



   In the beginning I chose not to draw out my idea first, I usually would use charcoal or pencil or even a sketch with paint - this was about a three minute, throw some "thin"paint on there, rough lay in...



Here is where I began defining the colors and shapes a little more...







Started applying quick expressive brushstrokes and colors to make the flowers come alive.
It was at this point I became unhappy with the central flower and wiped it out...


And then...the painting was interrupted. I had to leave my studio even though I had planned it to be an "Alla Prima" painting. These were sunflowers that I had picked from the garden and I knew that they would loose so much of their vitality by the time I could get back to it so I took a picture of the arrangement for later (which turned out to be two days).


So when I got back to it (finally), I started on the vase and background...



With the vase, I focused heavily on just painting what I saw - shapes and colors...





Then back to the flowers...I didn't want to do too much here because of the nice brushstrokes going on and by now the paint had dried a lot. This was a tricky spot...


I was very pleased with how this turned out especially because I was outside of my comfort zone and was challenging myself a little. The only thing about the painting that's a bit of a bummer is that it's not very photogenic...I struggled with the photos for a while trying to get them to match the colors of the actual painting and basically what you are seeing here is the best I could do. Here is the final shot...with the original arrangement as well...



"Garden Sunflowers"
14" x 14" oil on gesso board framed

Comments

AlikiBags said…
Absolutely love the way one can follow your work progressing - thank you ! Kiki x ( AlikiBags )
Kaia Thomas said…
Thanks Kiki! I figure that along with being interesting to watch a progression of a painting, sharing my experiences in this way can be helpful to someone possibly working on similar challenges. Also, it has come in handy for myself because I can go back to my blog posts and relive my process - like going back over my notes. It's very helpful. So glad you enjoyed the post!:)

Popular posts from this blog

Cochise County Plein Air Painters Portal Paint Out

Pueblo pottery style gourd - from start to finish